As Kristen and I have been looking into sending the announcement for the project out, some colleagues have asked for visual material to accompany the text. This is a bit difficult given that the project has hardly started and that the consortium will not physically meet until June. So we opted for a project logo.
With limited experience in design and even more limited time we decided on a simple logo which will give the right message for the purposes of the announcement. The two components are:
Last year, with the help of Gareth Johnson and David Cross we prepared a short video showcasing Artivity and explaining its use in under a minute. The video features artwork by Gino Ballantyne. We are publishing this video today to kick start another round of work on Artivity to collect some more data and test the installation process and data exporting capabilities.
I have recently worked on a one-year pilot for Linked Data at the University of Oxford. During this pilot I kept coming up to database design decisions which made publishing Linked Data difficult. This page includes some points to consider when designing your database:
Basic guide for database design
To assist work for Linked Data, when designing a database, please observe the following:
Given that the Alpha release of Artivity for MacOSX is now ready to download, this was a good chance to create a new online presence where the most recent Artivity versions can be found. Check out:
This is a more outward looking website highlighting some important features of Artivity as well as featuring links to the research project page (this page) and the partner pages.
Future Artivity releases for all platforms will be made available through that website.
For now: happy browsing!
Sebastian Faubel and Moritz Eberl from Semiodesk have been working hard on the first version of Artivity for the MacOSX which supports Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator and Google Chrome.
Last month, Sebastian, Moritz and I attended the Libre Graphics Meeting and gave a paper about Artivity. The paper was received very well and we did have a short discussion about the project following the presentation. Two issues were raised:
With a bit of a delay, I am updating the project blog to announce that Artivity has been awarded funding for the third phase of the project. See Daniela's blog entry about it. Since the end of phase 2 Artivity could run on Windows and MacOSX but with limited support for creative applications. There are lots of exciting developments for the third phase: