concentric frames

Preferred label
concentric frames
Note (en)
Two or more tooled frames, usually rectangular, found one inside the other on the sides of books. These are sometime described as ‘panelled’ but as this can be confused with the use of the term panels on spines, the term frame avoids this possible confusion. The areas between and within the frames were often sprinkled as discrete areas of decoration.
Note (nb)
Permdekor bestående av to eller flere pregede rammer utenpå hverandre, feltet i mellom rammene fikk ofte en sprengt dekor, kalles også Holbergbind.
Top concept
Broader concept
Narrower concept